One of the hottest trends in the world of both residential and commercial roofing is metal roofing. This is the art of using special metal materials to replace classic options of roofing, such as asphalt shingles. While there is nothing wrong with either option, metal roofs have quickly become the preferred option for those looking to replace their existing roofs as well as building new structures or add-ons to their homes. There are a whole lot of reasons why, too!
Benefits of metal roofing
While we at Your Georgetown Roofer are the first to admit that a metal roof will cost a bit more than your average shingle roof, there are quite a lot of benefits as to why you should still choose metal roofing for your home — and quite a lot of them have to do with cost!
- Require little to no maintenance: Metal roofs are made to last first and foremost. This means no replaced shingles, no repairs of weak spots and so on. With a metal roof, you simply “install it and forget it”. For those with large or complicated roof designs, this is a huge perk.
- Last longer than even the best asphalt roofing: No matter how top of the line your asphalt shingle roof is, a metal roof will still always outlive it. Instead of a 10-15-year warranty, these roofs will offer up 25 year+ warranties and quite a few even offer lifetime warranties. This is great for those that are just building their first home and want to spend many happy years in it.
- Easy to recycle and repurpose: If and when you do decide to recycle your metal roof, it is easy to do as it can be as simple as adding it to metal waste just like you would with glass. Asphalt, while recyclable, requires a lot more effort to repurpose.
- Endless options for colour and effect of the home: While asphalt has many options, there are even more options of colour and texture for your home. For those that enjoy having plenty of options to choose from, you’ll get no better variety from metal!
Types of metal roofing
There are a few types of metal roofing that you can choose from, each style designed to be versatile and customized in colour and texture. Options include:
- Shingle look-a-likes: You can get metal roofing that mimics the look and feel of shingles, which is great for those that like to blend in!
- Sheet corrugated metal: You can also get classic style corrugated metal that will keep a more classic uniform texture that you’re looking for.
- Ridged metal: With selective raised ridges, you can also get roofing destined to trap leaf litter and others from falling into your gutters. In more northern climates this also would prevent ice build-up.
There are so many perks to metal roofing and each option focuses on customer care and value for money. If you’re interested in this exceptional roof care trend that is becoming more and more popular here in Georgetown, TX, contact us at Your Georgetown Roofer today!